phoebe

Phoebe's Paper Paradise

This is new for me, thus I'll just see what it turns out to be. :)

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Mark Twain
Progress: 70/281 pages
The Essential Child: Origins of Essentialism in Everyday Thought
Susan A. Gelman
Progress: 108/382 pages

Shining

The Shining - Stephen King The Shining is my favorite of the three novels. Written in the seventies it is set around the same time. No cell phones on every person yet, no internet and up in the mountains there is an awful lot of snow in the winter. Enough snow, if the mountain is up high enough, to get snowed in and completely cut off from the rest of civilization – for months. That’s what happens to the Torrance family when father Jack Torrance takes on the job as winter caretaker in the Overlook hotel. From the start Wendy, the wife, and their 5-year old son Danny find something fishy about it. Especially Danny, who has “the shine” starts soon to get all kinds of weird signs about and from the hotel. Are they gonna survive the winter up there?
The story is thrilling and just exciting to follow. The characters are perfectly written and you are compelled by each chapter and eager to find out what happens next, hoping all the best for Danny and his family. It does give you the creeps frequently, which I enjoyed a lot while reading. Sometimes headlines of chapters alone (e.g. “Inside 217”, which is a very significant room right from the start) give you the creeps and a bad gut feeling. Brilliant book!